Prof Andreas Brandhuber
Prof Andreas BrandhuberHead of CRST, Professor of Theoretical Physics
My research interests
I am a member of the Centre for Research in String Theory. My main research interests are centered around string theory, gravity, gauge theories and their interrelations. Exciting advances in these fields have recently come about due to the realisation that certain field theories are dual to certain string theories. This discovery has led to major progress in our understanding of the dynamics of gauge theories at the perturbative and non-perturbative level. In the last years my research has been devoted to exploring theoretical scenarios where the interplay between string and field theory has proved to be particularly fruitful and productive:
Study of modern methods for scattering amplitudes in gauge theories and gravity. This includes supersymmetric and non-supersymmetric theories such as pure Yang-Mills and QCD, and theories in various dimensions including ABJM-type Chern-Simons matter theories in d=3 and six-dimensional theories.
The novel duality between N=4 super Yang-Mills and twistor string theory, and its applications.
The study of the non-perturbative dynamics of supersymmetric gauge theories using exactly calculable anomalies, branes in string theory and dualities.
M-theory compactifications on G_2 manifolds and their implications for model building.
The AdS/CFT correspondence and its generalisations to non-conformal gauge theories.
In the academic year 2012/2013 I will teach Quantum Mechanics B (3rd year BSc, Semester 1) and the MSci/MSc course Advanced Quantum Field Theory.
STFC Consolidated Grant, String Theory, Gauge Theory and Duality, A Brandhuber (PI), DS Berman, S Ramgoolam, R Russo, WJ Spence, S Thomas, G Travaglini, and B Wecht, 2011-2014. GBP632,000.
STFC Rolling Grant, String Theory, Gauge Theory and Duality, A Brandhuber (PI), DS Berman, S Ramgoolam, R Russo, WJ Spence, S Thomas, G Travaglini, 2008-2013. GBP1,400,000 (superceded in 2011 by Consolidated Grant).
INFN (Italy): Brandhuber, Spence, Travaglini, V. Del Duca (INFN, Torino), N. Glover (IPPP, Durham), D. Kosower (CEA, Saclay), E. Laenen (Nikhef, Amsterdam), G. Passarino (University of Torino), D. Zeppenfeld (University of Karlsruhe). Two month workshop "Advancing Collider Physics: from Twistors to Monte Carlos" at the Galileo Galilei Institute for Theoretical Physics, Arcetri, Florence, Italy, August 27-October 26 2007, (EURO 125,000).
PPARC Rolling Grant "String theory, gauge theory and gravity", Berman, Brandhuber, Ramgoolam, Spence, Thomas, (2006-2008), GBP 249,800.
Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council: A. Brandhuber and B. Spence: Grant for the International Workshop: "From Twistors to Amplitudes", (2005) Queen Mary, November 2005, GBP 4700.
Particle Physics and Astronomy Research Council: A. Brandhuber and B. Spence, (2005-2007), "Gauge theory, string theory and twistor space techniques", GBP 134,010.
European Union, Framework 6, Marie Curie Training and Mobility of Researchers Grant, <em>Superstrings</em>, Theory Group, Department of Physics, Queen Mary, (2004-2008), EURO 259,980.
A complete list of my publications can be found at SLAC's search engine INSPIRE. Unlike web of science this also provides an accurate count of citations.
Most popular publications (more than 100 citations):
1) A Note on dual superconformal symmetry of the N=4 super Yang-Mills S-matrix with Paul Heslop, Gabriele Travaglini. Phys.Rev. D78 (2008) 125005.
2) MHV amplitudes in N=4 super Yang-Mills and Wilson loops with Paul Heslop, Gabriele Travaglini. Nucl.Phys. B794 (2008) 231-243.
3) A Recursion relation for gravity amplitudes with James Bedford, Bill J. Spence, Gabriele Travaglini. Nucl.Phys. B721 (2005) 98-110.
4) Non-supersymmetric loop amplitudes and MHV vertices with James Bedford, Bill J. Spence, Gabriele Travaglini. Nucl.Phys. B712 (2005) 59-85.
5) A Twistor approach to one-loop amplitudes in N=1 supersymmetric Yang-Mills theory with James Bedford, Bill J. Spence, Gabriele Travaglini. Nucl.Phys. B706 (2005) 100-126.
6) One-loop gauge theory amplitudes in N=4 super Yang-Mills from MHV vertices with Bill J. Spence, Gabriele Travaglini. Nucl.Phys. B706 (2005) 150-180.
7) Gauge theory at large N and new G(2) holonomy metrics with Jaume Gomis, Steven S. Gubser, Sergei Gukov. Nucl.Phys. B611 (2001) 179-204.
8) Nonstandard compactifications with mass gaps and Newton's law with K. Sfetsos. JHEP 9910 (1999) 013.
9) Wilson loops from multicenter and rotating branes, mass gaps and phase structure in gauge theories with K. Sfetsos. Adv.Theor.Math.Phys. 3 (1999) 851-887.
10) Wilson loops, confinement, and phase transitions in large N gauge theories from supergravity with Nissan Itzhaki, Jacob Sonnenschein, Shimon Yankielowicz. JHEP 9806 (1998) 001.
11) Wilson loops in the large N limit at finite temperature with N. Itzhaki, J. Sonnenschein, S. Yankielowicz. Phys.Lett. B434 (1998) 36-40.
12) On the monodromies of N=2 supersymmetric Yang-Mills theory with gauge group SO(2n) with K. Landsteiner. Phys.Lett. B358 (1995) 73-80.
Recent publications (since 2009):
1) A note on amplitudes in N=6 superconformal Chern-Simons theory with Congkao Wen, Gabriele Travaglini. [arXiv:1205.6705 [hep-th]], submitted to JHEP.
2) Analytic two-loop form factors in N=4 SYM with Gabriele Travaglini, Gang Yang. JHEP 1205 (2012) 082.
3) Harmony of Super Form Factors with Omer Gurdogan, Robert Mooney, Gabriele Travaglini, Gang Yang. JHEP 1110 (2011) 046.
4) Tree-Level Formalism with Bill Spence, Gabriele Travaglini. J.Phys.A A44 (2011) 454002.
5) Form Factors in N=4 Super Yang-Mills and Periodic Wilson Loops with Bill Spence, Gabriele Travaglini, Gang Yang. JHEP 1101 (2011) 134.
6) A Note on Dual MHV Diagrams in N=4 SYM with Bill Spence, Gabriele Travaglini, Gang Yang. JHEP 1012 (2010) 087.
7) One-loop Amplitudes in Six-Dimensional (1,1) Theories from Generalised Unitarity with Dimitrios Korres, Daniel Koschade, Gabriele Travaglini. JHEP 1102 (2011) 077.
8) A Surprise in the Amplitude/Wilson Loop Duality with Paul Heslop, Panagiotis Katsaroumpas, Dung Nguyen, Bill Spence, Marcus Spradlin, Gabriele Travaglini. JHEP 1007 (2010) 080.
9) Simplicity of Polygon Wilson Loops in N=4 SYM with Paul Heslop, Valentin V. Khoze, Gabriele Travaglini. JHEP 1001 (2010) 050.
10) Proof of the Dual Conformal Anomaly of One-Loop Amplitudes in N=4 SYM with Paul Heslop, Gabriele Travaglini. JHEP 0910 (2009) 063.
11) One-Loop Amplitudes in N=4 Super Yang-Mills and Anomalous Dual Conformal Symmetry with Paul Heslop, Gabriele Travaglini. JHEP 0908 (2009) 095.